This is the most common lunch for Greeks on Sundays !
A delicious, healthy recipe everyone will love!
In this recipe, the beef is cooked in low temperature for longer time and this is why it’s so tender. If you boil it, it won’t be tender. Plus, by simmering it, the beef gets the wonderful aromas of the cinnamon, the garlic and the tomatoes. It’s so delicious! And don’t forget that all the recipes we give you are healthy since we use our extra virgin olive oil at the end of the cooking.
Ingredients for the beef
1 kg of beef, cut in small portions
2 chopped red onions
1 clove of garlic
4-5 ripe tomatoes grated
1 tablespoon tomato paste
a pinch of sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
- Wash the beef and dry it with a kitchen paper.
- Heat a large casserole (preferably a non stick one). Once it’s heated add the chopped onions and the pieces of the beef, until they are brown from one side, then turn them around to brown the other side, too.
- Add in the casserole the grated tomatoes, the tomato paste and the sugar. Add water to cover the meet.
- Add the cinnamon, the garlic, salt and pepper.
- When the sauce starts to boil. lower the heat to medium (the sauce should still make bubbles) and cover with the lid. Let it simmer for approximately 2 hours. You will be able to tell it’s ready when the beef will be tender enough to be cut with a fork and the sauce will be thick.
- At the end, add the extra virgin olive oil and stir well.
- It is important to choose the correct part of the beef to have a fork tender result. We would suggest to choose from either the front shoulder or the rear end of beef.
- This recipe could be more complicated, but we choose to cook healthy. Little changes in recipes can bring big results for our health. This is a very nutritive dish. Pasta for energy, beef for protein and raw extra virgin olive oil to keep all the health benefits high!
- No need to use butter for the pasta. Once the pasta is boiled, strain it, put it back in the pot, and just add extra virgin olive oil. The pasta will shine and slip and smell wonderfully. We use the healthiest fats in our recipes.
- When the food is served, sprinkle on every dish some salty grated cheese